Tourism Grant Guidelines
Visit Emporia is a destination marketing organization promoting Emporia to potential visitors and meeting planners and serves as the visitor information center for Emporia.
ABOUT VISIT EMPORIA
Our Mission: To provide quality, memorable experiences, inspiring people to visit Emporia
Our Focus: To increase occupancy at Emporia Hotels and increase attendance at Emporia attractions.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Visit Emporia Tourism Grant Program was established to enhance and strengthen the positive economic impact of the tourism industry on our community. Funding for this program comes from Transient Guest Tax, also known as hotel or bed tax, that is collected when guests stay in our hotels and other lodging facilities.
The program is designed to assist an organization in the start-up, and/or growth, of an event/project. This grant is designed to spur creativity and growth in Emporia Tourism and will be for new marketing plans, new attractions or events, or first-time enhancements to existing events and attractions. This is a reimbursement grant and is NOT designed to cover the entire expense of the event/project.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Tourism Grants are available to any organization actively marketing their event/project to attract out-of-town visitors to Emporia. Applications must be completed in full and abide by the following:
- Grant deadlines are January 1 and July 1. Guidelines and Applications are available online.
- All applications must be completed in full, including a proposed event/project budget with detailed expenses and revenues, and submitted to Visit Emporia before the end of the business day of the desired granting cycle. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- All public notices (press / media releases) must acknowledge the support of Visit Emporia. e.g., “This project made possible in part by the financial support of Visit Emporia.”
- Visit Emporia must review and approve all printed uses of logo and brand messaging prior to publication. Click here to download the Visit Emporia Logo from our media kit.
- Events that encourage overnight lodging and increase attraction attendance will be given preference.
- Priority will be given to events/projects that are distinctive, create a positive energy, push average boundaries and most closely match the mission and goals of Visit Emporia.
- The recipient is responsible for any and all liability issues evolving from the activities.
- Grant funds must be used for the event/project and date for which they are requested and within 12 months of the application. Visit Emporia must be notified in writing if the applicant does not plan to use their approved funds.
- If an event is canceled or does not take place within 12 months for any reason, funding will not be awarded. Grant awards are not carried over and all grant recipients must reapply the following year whether the event takes place or not.
- Support of an annual event/project will under no circumstances obligate Visit Emporia to continue support in subsequent years. Organizations should not assume nor budget this tourism grant support annually.
- Applicants will be notified of grant awards via letter or email 30 days after the grant cycle deadline.
- Marketing of local community events that promote mostly to local residents and are attended predominantly by local residents.
- Association memberships
- Salaries and wages
- Items for re-sale (merchandise)
- This grant is not intended to fund recurring, annual operational expenses.
The Visit Emporia Tourism Marketing Grant is a reimbursement grant. A completion report must be submitted within 30 days of the event or project’s completion.