Tourism Grant Guidelines
EMPORIA CONVENTION and VISITORS BUREAU
TOURISM GRANT PROGRAM GUIDELINES
ABOUT THE CONVENTION AND VISITORS BUREAU (CVB)
The Emporia Convention and Visitors Bureau is a destination marketing organization promoting Emporia to potential visitors and meeting planners and serves as the visitor information center for Emporia offering brochures and maps of Emporia, surrounding areas and the State of Kansas.
Our Mission: To provide quality, memorable experiences, inspiring people to visit Emporia
Our Focus: To increase occupancy at Emporia Hotels and increase attendance at Emporia attractions.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The CVB Tourism Grant Program was established to enhance and strengthen the positive economic impact of the tourism industry on our community. Funding for this program comes from Transient Guest Tax, also known as hotel tax or bed tax, that is collected when guests stay in our hotels and other lodging facilities.
The program is designed to assist an organization in the start-up of an event/project, and is NOT designed to cover the entire expense of the event/project.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Tourism Grants are available to any organization actively marketing their event/project to attract out-of-town visitors to Emporia. Applications must be completed in full and abide by the following:
- Grant deadlines are February 1 and August 1. Guidelines and Applications are available online.
- All applications must be completed in full, including a proposed budget with detailed expenses and revenues, and submitted to the CVB before the end of the business day of the desired granting cycle.
- All public notices and printed promotional materials must acknowledge the support of the CVB, e.g., “This project made possible in part by the financial support of the Emporia Convention & Visitors Bureau,” and must include the CVB logo, which is available in our online media kit.
- The event must have a measurable impact and effectiveness that can be tracked and documented.
- Events that encourage overnight lodging will be given preference as well as those what occur during spring, fall and winter.
- Priority will be given to events/projects that are distinctive, create a positive energy, push average boundaries and most closely match the mission and goals of the CVB.
- The recipient is responsible for any and all liability issues evolving from the activities.
- Grant funds must be used for the event and date for which they are requested and within 12 months of the application. The CVB must be notified in writing if the applicant does not plan to use their approved funds.
- A mandatory completion report is required and due within 30-days of project completion before funds will be dispersed. Submit the Completion Report online. https://visitemporia.com/completion-form/
- Applicants will be notified of grant award via letter or email by March 1 or September 1 depending on grant cycle.
View scoring criteria sheet (Excel file)