Tourism Grant Guidelines
ABOUT VISIT EMPORIA
Visit Emporia is a destination marketing organization promoting Emporia to potential visitors and meeting planners and serves as the visitor information center for Emporia, offering brochures and maps of Emporia, surrounding areas and the State of Kansas.
Our Mission: To provide quality, memorable experiences, inspiring people to visit Emporia
Our Focus: To increase occupancy at Emporia Hotels and increase attendance at Emporia attractions.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Visit Emporia Tourism Grant Program was established to enhance and strengthen the positive economic impact of the tourism industry on our community. Funding for this program comes from Transient Guest Tax, also known as hotel tax or bed tax, that is collected when guests stay in our hotels and other lodging facilities.
The program is designed to assist an organization in the start-up, and/or growth, of an event/project. This is a reimbursement grant and is NOT designed to cover the entire expense of the event/project.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Tourism Grants are available to any organization actively marketing their event/project to attract out-of-town visitors to Emporia. Applications must be completed in full and abide by the following:
- Grant deadlines are February 1 and August 1. Guidelines and Applications are available online.
- All applications must be completed in full, including a proposed event budget with detailed expenses and revenues, and submitted to Visit Emporia before the end of the business day of the desired granting cycle.
- All public notices (press / media releases) and printed promotional materials (flyers / posters, etc) must acknowledge the support of Visit Emporia. e.g., “This project made possible in part by the financial support of Visit Emporia,” and must include the Visit Emporia logo, which is available in our online media kit.
- Visit Emporia must review and approve all printed uses of logo and brand messaging prior to publication.
- Events should have a digital media presence and plan. Visit Emporia must be featured in the following ways:
- Website – logo or link to visitemporia.com on the event website.
- Newsletter – If an event utilizes a newsletter or email distribution list, Visit Emporia must be featured in at least one newsletter / email.
- Social Media – If an event utilizes social media, Visit Emporia must be featured in at least two posts.
- Visit Emporia must review and approve all digital uses of logo and brand messaging prior to publication.
- Post event survey – If a post event survey is utilized, Visit Emporia would like the ability to collaborate with event organizers to add tourism related questions.
- The event must have a measurable impact and effectiveness that can be tracked and documented.
- Events that encourage overnight lodging will be given preference as well as those that occur during spring, fall and winter.
- Priority will be given to events/projects that are distinctive, create a positive energy, push average boundaries and most closely match the mission and goals of the Visit Emporia.
- The recipient is responsible for any and all liability issues evolving from the activities.
- Grant funds must be used for the event and date for which they are requested and within 12 months of the application. The Visit Emporia must be notified in writing if the applicant does not plan to use their approved funds.
- If an event is cancelled or does not take place within 12 months for any reason, funding will not be awarded. Grant awards are not carried over and all grant recipients must reapply the following year whether the event takes place or not.
- Support of an annual meeting/event will under no circumstances obligate Visit Emporia to continue support for the meeting/event in subsequent years. Organizations should not assume nor budget this tourism grant support annually.
- Events that have received a support grant in the past are eligible to reapply. Consideration will be given to those events that are showing continued growth and benefit to Emporia.
- A mandatory completion report is required and due within 30-days of project completion before funds will be dispersed. Submit the Completion Report online. https://visitemporia.com/completion-form/
- Applicants will be notified of grant award via letter or email by March 1 or September 1 depending on grant cycle.
View scoring criteria sheet (Excel file)