Tourism Grant Guidelines
ABOUT VISIT EMPORIA
Visit Emporia is a destination marketing organization promoting Emporia to potential visitors and meeting planners and serves as the visitor information center for Emporia, offering brochures and maps of Emporia, surrounding areas, and the State of Kansas.
Our Mission: To provide quality, memorable experiences, inspiring people to visit Emporia
Our Focus: To increase occupancy in Emporia lodging providers and increase attendance at Emporia attractions.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Visit Emporia Tourism Grant Program was established to enhance and strengthen the positive economic impact of the tourism industry on our community. Funding for this program comes from Transient Guest Tax, also known as hotel tax or bed tax, which is collected when guests stay in our hotels and other lodging facilities.
The grant aims to fund initiatives related to new marketing plans, new attractions or events, and first-time enhancements to existing events and attractions. Requests should be innovative and clearly show how the funding will increase visitors to Emporia. This is a reimbursement grant and is NOT designed to cover the entire expense of the event/project.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Tourism Grants are available to any organization actively marketing their event, project, or business to attract out-of-town visitors to Emporia. Applications must be completed in full and abide by the following:
- Grants must be submitted no later than January 15th.
- All applications must be completed in full, including a proposed event budget with detailed expenses and revenues. Budgets must accurately reflect the request being made.
- All public notices (press/media releases) and printed promotional materials (flyers/posters, etc) must acknowledge the support of Visit Emporia. e.g., “This project made possible in part by the financial support of Visit Emporia,” and must include the Visit Emporia logo, which is available in our online media kit.
- Visit Emporia must review and approve all printed uses of logo and brand messaging before publication.
- A maximum of $4,999 may be granted to any single entity.
- If there are additional dollars available after the initial round of funding, a second round may be offered.
- The event, project, or business must have a measurable impact and effectiveness that can be tracked and documented.
- Priority will be given to events, projects, and businesses that are distinctive, create positive energy, push average boundaries, and most closely match the mission and goals of Visit Emporia.
- The recipient is responsible for any liability issues evolving from the activities.
- Grant funds must be used for the event and date for which they are requested and within 12 months of the application. Visit Emporia must be notified in writing if the applicant does not plan to use their approved funds.
- If an event or project is canceled or does not take place within 12 months for any reason, funding will not be awarded. Grant awards are not carried over and all grant recipients must reapply the following year whether the event or project occurs or not.
- Support of an annual meeting/event will under no circumstances obligate Visit Emporia to continue support for the meeting/event in subsequent years. Organizations should not assume nor budget this tourism grant support annually.
- Events that have received a support grant in the past are eligible to reapply. Consideration will be given to those events, projects, or businesses that are showing continued growth and innovation by way of new marketing strategies and/or new attraction development.
- A mandatory completion report is required and due within 30-days of project completion before funds will be dispersed. Submit the Completion Report online. https://visitemporia.com/completion-form/
- Applicants will be notified of the grant award via letter or email no later than Feb 1.
- Marketing of local community events that are promoted mostly to local residents and are attended predominantly by local residents
- Projects that have been previously funded
- Association memberships
- Salaries and wages
- Items for re-sale (merchandise)
- Bumper stickers, stationery, and membership solicitation literature
- Promotional items, prizes, trophies, plaques, decorations, trinkets, hats, shirts, banners, flags, etc
- This grant is not intended to fund recurring, annual operational expenses.
The Visit Emporia Tourism Marketing Grant is a reimbursement grant. A completion report must be submitted within 30 days of the event or project’s completion.