One Room School House
This one-room, limestone schoolhouse was originally located about 50 miles west of Emporia in Marion County. Constructed in 1873, it was known as Dobbs School. The school was donated as a gift to Emporia State University by Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Kruse of Marion in 1969 to serve as a museum and memorial to pioneer Kansas education. In order to move the structure, the school was completely dismantled and then restored stone by stone at its new location.
It is furnished to depict an 1895 school setting. For tours, call 620-341-1200.