Honoring the Military Family
Posted on Nov 8, 2018 by Visit Emporia
Emporians have a tradition of honoring our veterans year-round, but especially in November. As the founding city of Veterans Day, we recognize the sacrifices of our men and women in the Armed Services with parades, ceremonies, and other honors.
But we often overlook another group whose dedication and commitment supports our men and women in uniform. This Veterans Day, as we honor those who served in the Armed Forces, we honor the “heroes on the homefront” as well.
November is Military Family Appreciation Month. This year, let’s celebrate those families whose sacrifice and duty in service to our nation often go unnoticed by civilians.
We remember the spouse of the soldier who is deployed, caring for the family, often acting as a single parent and carrying the load alone for months at a time.
We remember the children of soldiers who grow up moving from base to base, learning to make friends and become valuable members in new, unfamiliar communities over and over.
We remember the military families who move around the world with just a few weeks or days to prepare. Who build new networks of support and create a home in each new location.
We remember those who spend holidays apart, celebrate birthdays via video conferencing, say goodnight with the knowledge that their soldier may soon be called into danger.
We recognize the strength and resilience military families call on every day. We honor the grace, courage, and faith they rely on to support our men and women in uniform.
With the holidays approaching, many of us will be surrounded by our families. Let’s remember military families who may be stationed far from home and missing the comforts we take for granted. Here are a few ideas for how to support our military families:
- Say thank you. Send a note, pick up the phone, or post a public thank you on social media. Let them know that you’re thinking of them and appreciate their commitment and sacrifice.
- Send a care package. The 15th Military Care Packages drive, organized by Emporia Main Street, is happening now through November 29, collecting items for care packages to send to local soldiers deployed overseas. Consider also sending a care package to a military family you know as a sweet surprise.
- Offer to help with babysitting, yard work, or other tasks. When a spouse is on his or her own for months at a time, any help is welcome. Offer to mow the lawn or shovel snow. Babysit so mom or dad can run errands alone.
- Perform a random act of kindness for the family, while remaining anonymous.
- Join us this weekend for the Veterans Day parade and other events. Your encouragement can lift spirits.
There are many ways to show our support and appreciation for military families. Let’s make doing so a complementary action as we honor our veterans.
Visit Emporia welcomes travelers and meeting planners, and serves as the visitor information center for Emporia, Kansas and surrounding area.
Want to stay up date on things to do in Emporia? Enter your email and get weekly updates delivered to your inbox!